Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sewing again!

I am a notoriously lazy sewer. I don't like to measure or cut or pin. Needless to say, sewing clothes is not a good idea for me. I like to sew bags and even then, I'm bound to do at least one thing wrong. The stitch ripper is my best friend and worse enemy, lol.

Anyway, I haven't sewed in about a year, so I'm trying to get back into it. First project was a reversible messenger bag from crazy little projects.  Of course I had issues right off, namely, I couldn't get my printer to print the pattern.  It looked simple enough so I guessed at it.  Hmmmmm.......You might not be able to tell from the photo, but the flap is a bit too short-- it doesn't want to stay flopped over the opening of the bag.  But of course I didn't discover this until the very end (since I don't like to measure anything).  I cut my pieces and then started sewing...........and of course quickly discovered that I had sewed the wrong two pieces together.  Out comes the stitch ripper.  Then I had an issue with the long strap....it just didn't tuck very nicely into the bag.   I think that's more of a pattern error than a Kathy error though.  Overall I think it turned out pretty good for my first return attempt.

I think learning to make use of the iron really helps. 


UPDATE:  I never really liked how the straps attached to this bag, so I took them off.  And then I just turned the whole thing into a pocket-- that is I attached the entire bag to a larger bag that I had.  I just knew I would never use it as it was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment